Posts tagged “redbird


Saturday I had a day off at work because I had to pick up my work from the Art.Room gallery (yes, show is over; the month went by as if it was nothing). A very relaxed and easy day and when I finally got back home I still had some hours to spare before ‘my man’ came home. I was in doubt whether I’d shoot some plates out there or do some lithy stuff in the darkroom and chose the latter because the weather didn’t look that stable. Here are some examples of that printing session. It was not a fantastic session but I discovered some negatives never printed before, discarded a few others and once again realised too late the emulsion side of the collodion glass plate has to touch the surface when making a contact print 🙂

A couple of months back I went to C-Mine in Genk  (BE) to see the photo exhibition ‘Yakuza” by Anton Kusters. This is a beautiful place which has plenty of things in and outside to photograph. Photos taken with my Leica M6 + Elmarit 28mm f2.8 using Kodak T-Max 100 film (wish I had a faster film in the camera that day because the light was very low and the photos are not crispy sharp because of too long shutter speeds).

No filter | Exposure 20 seconds | Snatch point 4m49 | Rollei Lith 1+1+24 20 degrees | Rollei 131 FB Paper


No filter | Exposure 30 seconds | Snatch point 4m26 | Rollei Lith 1+1+24 20 degrees | Rollei 131 FB paper


I also ran into the Redbird film I shot in Ellmau, Austria (I only posted the scans of some of the negatives here a while back) and decided to give that a go. Not sure whether I like it; it has some coolness but also a lot of grain which comes from the film itself. I might have to experiment more with that negative to get better separated parts and make the grain less bothering.

No filter | Exposure 50 seconds | Snatch point 4m56 | Rollei Lith 1+1+24 20 degrees | Rollei 131 FB paper


My final print was one of my collodion clear glass ambrotypes shot at the Enci in Maastricht. Forgot to place the emulsion side on the paper which results in a loss of sharpness. Better next time; not contacting but properly enlarging for I like its characteristics.


Anyway, nothing special and hope to get back in there soon!

Rollei Redbird Film

I’m not much of a fan of colour in my personal work but seeing the results (and we started selling this film at work) I thought it would be cool to try and shoot a roll. Having read that you can lith print colour film I thought it would be kind of cool and, as such, not a necessary waste of efforts. Well, it is kind of cool though I can be rather short about this first roll of film….OVEREXPOSE!

Pretty logical when you know it’s a reversed winded film. The light has to penetrate the base layer first before hitting the light sensitive part. I liked it enough to buy a second roll which I will expose as 100 or maybe even 50 ASA, but definitely not as the rated 400 ASA! From what I read online it’s tough to overexpose this film 😉

Below an example of an accidentally “correctly” exposed negative and from an underexposed one, the latter being absolutely unusable with its grain. Images have been taken with the Leica M6 coupled with the Elmarit 28mm f/2,8



Fun nonetheless and looking forward to the next film 😉