Saturday I had a day off at work because I had to pick up my work from the Art.Room gallery (yes, show is over; the month went by as if it was nothing). A very relaxed and easy day and when I finally got back home I still had some hours to spare before ‘my man’ came home. I was in doubt whether I’d shoot some plates out there or do some lithy stuff in the darkroom and chose the latter because the weather didn’t look that stable. Here are some examples of that printing session. It was not a fantastic session but I discovered some negatives never printed before, discarded a few others and once again realised too late the emulsion side of the collodion glass plate has to touch the surface when making a contact print 🙂
A couple of months back I went to C-Mine in Genk (BE) to see the photo exhibition ‘Yakuza” by Anton Kusters. This is a beautiful place which has plenty of things in and outside to photograph. Photos taken with my Leica M6 + Elmarit 28mm f2.8 using Kodak T-Max 100 film (wish I had a faster film in the camera that day because the light was very low and the photos are not crispy sharp because of too long shutter speeds).
No filter | Exposure 20 seconds | Snatch point 4m49 | Rollei Lith 1+1+24 20 degrees | Rollei 131 FB Paper
No filter | Exposure 30 seconds | Snatch point 4m26 | Rollei Lith 1+1+24 20 degrees | Rollei 131 FB paper
I also ran into the Redbird film I shot in Ellmau, Austria (I only posted the scans of some of the negatives here a while back) and decided to give that a go. Not sure whether I like it; it has some coolness but also a lot of grain which comes from the film itself. I might have to experiment more with that negative to get better separated parts and make the grain less bothering.
No filter | Exposure 50 seconds | Snatch point 4m56 | Rollei Lith 1+1+24 20 degrees | Rollei 131 FB paper
My final print was one of my collodion clear glass ambrotypes shot at the Enci in Maastricht. Forgot to place the emulsion side on the paper which results in a loss of sharpness. Better next time; not contacting but properly enlarging for I like its characteristics.
Anyway, nothing special and hope to get back in there soon!
We went to Barcelona at the end of 2010 and visited Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia again. Wonderful to see this building evolving every couple of years. It’s such a fascinating creature! If you ever get the chance to visit it, please do. Despite the price of the tickets it is sooo definitely worth it (also because it enables the build to move forward)!
I am working on an exhibition with the theme “Light creates Life” or something in that spirit. This series came to mind as light is so important to a building, and most certainly this one with its high ceilings and beautiful glass-in-lead (stained?) windows. Anyway, see for yourself if you like them for the same reasons I did. Different reasons are also fine though 😉
All the photos are made using a Hasselblad 500CM with 80mm CF 4,0. Film used: Kodak T-Max 100. Developer used: Kodak HC110 Dil. B.
While the 2 former posts I had my reservations regarding color, with these I simply love it. It works very well for this as the building itself is also very warm with the materials used and the colors that are created by the colored glass in the windows. This conveys the feeling the building gave me spot-on!
Next step: printing them on 30×40 paper and framing them for the exhibition. Wanted to go bigger but the frames have to stay a bit affordable…so..here’s my concession 😉 Anyway, once framed I’ll post the result. I’m looking forward making them, seeing them, everything!
-xxx- Sleep well everyone…I know I will !!!
Some time ago I wanted to wind a film onto my reel for developing but something went wrong. I can not really stand things going wrong especially not when I’m in the dark (kind of scared of the dark, very handy when working darkroom and stuff ;-)) Instead of the film getting winded I got winded and it turned out in me abusing the film vigorously, finally slamming the film in my developing tank and leaving the dark in a furious mood. My boyfriend was so kind to enter the dark and put it on the reel for me instead. Actually, he does it with all my films now as I just can’t stand being in the dark, failing to get that film on the reel. Saves a lot of stress on both sides!
Anyway, I developed the film and of course it was completely damaged with cracks, dents, oysters, strikes, you name it. But despite all that I kind of liked the results and decided to keep it for further use under the name: “Emotional Film”. Yesterday I thought it to be nice to lith them. And I did. A bit more difficult negatives to print properly and I am only really happy with one so far. I’ll post the other 2 as well for experience-sake and to show you what flaws look like 😉 On to the good one:
The two next ones still require some work but I was too tired to finish the session. They are a bit too dark, don’t like the contrast = closing up blacks.
Photos taken with a Rolleiflex T on T-Max 100 film
Anyway, to be continued again!