Was able to take a couple of hours off again, wanting to make some more plates of my dolls. These are not as special as yesterday but I do like them. It’s an unfinished project so far so more will follow.
Exposure time: 8 seconds, Fixer: Sodium Thiosulphate 30%, Lens: Steinheil 230mm f5,6
I’ve always wanted to do something with dolls so here we go:
Fixer: Sodium Thiosulfate 30%, Exposure time: 3 seconds, Lens: 230mm f5,6, Black Glass Ambrotype 18x24cm
I have always wanted to do something with dolls. They can look so remote, so similar to humans, apathetic and you can use them to create / emphasize those similarities without abusing a real human being. Recently I was wondering about what subject to photograph now that I passed the first experimental stages of working with Collodion. Dolls popped up in my mind so I decided to buy some. I ended up with three dolls that I took home with me and prepared for the first shoot.
The first idea was to burn their faces, humans wear masks and I want to make masks in an ugly way to express how they make me feel. The cruelty of humans for it to show, the insincerity, the fakeness. I used a small torch to burn the faces and a screw driver to demolish the eyes. The latter actually felt pretty weird to execute, to bash in those eyes with a screw driver almost made me feel like a terrible person, maybe I am, haha. Anyway, a photo before and after; don’t mind the quality; there are better ways of photographing than using an iPhone but it does the job for these purposes:
I tried to shoot a collodion plate that night with the emphasize on tried as my silver bath contained too little silver to make it happen…fixed that first and have to try again very soon. They are waiting for destiny to strike their fates 😉