First Outside Shoot!!

13-04-2010; a date to put in my books 😉

Yesterday I fixed the last things that I could and this morning I went out to buy a LED light for in the DR-tent, some clamps and some other smallish things. After that we arranged all the stuff needed and started packing the bike with the goodies. Quite a bit of work but that’s probably due to it being the first time. In the green bags hanging from my bike is where the chemicals were placed. One side with a cooling box to hold the Collodion and developer, the other side with the fixer (KCN) and silver bath (no acids in there ;-)). In the cart behind my bike went the darkroom tent, the tripod with its grid, the water (3 cans of 5 liter) and some other stuff. Bart took the table on his bike and some easels to put the images on once made for drying.

Ready to Leave!

Ready to Leave!

The glass plates, of which I took 8, I cleaned before leaving and put each of them in a four-flap piece of paper which is normally used for archiving. I counted on them being dry before leaving the spot so was able to carry them back in those same flaps. The flaps were then put in a laptop bag to keep them flat and separated from the rest.

Short film of packing the bike (it doesn’t seem to want to play the last bit of seconds..oh well):

Everything packed we went for our ride. We drove to one park which I didn’t like on arrival. Then I realized I forgot to pack the trays for developing and fixing etc. So Bart headed back home to get them and I waited somewhere on the way to the other park. At the true arrival unpacking everything and figuring out how to put all you want.  Everything actually went without a hitch, tent set up easily within minutes and the placement of the tools and chemicals was absolutely a piece of cake. It all went on its own. We wounded a rope around the top of the tent and attached to the tree it was standing next to so the wind wouldn’t get to it (wind speed of 3 to 4) and that went perfect as well.

On our way!

On our way!

I still can’t believe the ease with which we did this. No dust spectacles from the wind as I could pour my plates partially in the tent leaving the “door” open so the fumes could get out. Enough ventilation holes, in one we put the battery of which the LED light hung. Because of the silver inside of the tent it was by far enough light and not causing any fog. Not much in life is perfect but this certainly was! I had plenty of water, 15 liters, I used about 7. The fixer was wonderful even in its open tray. Open air is great!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos and all!!! The true Collodion images I’ll be posting in a new post.

I finally got the meaning of 21 gears...yeayyy!!!

I finally got the meaning of 21 gears...yeayyy!!!

First park..oopss...no trays!!

First park..oopss...no trays!!

Tent and all setup; right place!

Tent and all setup; right place!

Focusing

Focusing

Exposing the plate; 4x5" tintype for starters

Exposing the plate; 4x5" tintype for starters

KCN fixing...ohhh...exciting!!

KCN fixing...ohhh...exciting!!

And we have a 2 second-image!

And we have a 2 second-image!

Me in my Darkroom Tent

Me in my Darkroom Tent

The LED-light strip with the battery hidden in the venilation department

The LED-light strip with the battery hidden in the ventilation department

Another image

Another image

An overview of the setup

An overview of the setup

And that was it! Good Bey!!

And that was it! Good Bey!!

And that was truly it ;-)

And that was truly it 😉

Advertisements

10 responses

  1. HI Indra,

    great post !
    Now that i have located my fogging problems i also want to go outside.
    Like the idea of a tent very much.
    can you share also some settings as used aparture, lens, exposing time etc. ?

    many thanks

    Alex ( from Holland)

    April 13, 2010 at 23:09

    • Thanx!
      The tent was absolutely wonderful! I don’t want anything else. I had Bart to close it so no issues there. Thanx for the heads up on that table, that sounds fantastic. 60cm is what I have now in square and is a good size only the sides could have been a bit wider so I’m gonna look out for that one!

      Check out the next post for the info on aperture etc.

      April 13, 2010 at 23:28

  2. Indra,

    Looks like a great Spring day for such an excursion. Isn’t wetplate in the field wonderful? I like your set-up and am looking forward to seeing more images. Thanks for sharing the experience.

    Joe

    April 14, 2010 at 13:51

    • Hi Joe,

      Thank you for your comment! It was a wonderful day for this kind of experiment/excursion and this process outside is truly marvelous. I hope to be making more soon so keep my/your fingers crossed for the weather!

      -Indra

      April 14, 2010 at 20:08

  3. flavio

    Hi, great job!
    Where did you have purchase your nice darkroom???
    It’s wonderful.
    Your image are very nice.

    April 14, 2010 at 16:34

  4. Made me smile – one tired young lady at the end of it 🙂

    April 14, 2010 at 17:59

    • Haha, thanx Carl! Tired I was indeed pffff haha, but it was all worth it! 😉

      April 14, 2010 at 20:13

  5. cool bike! I ‘m working on a simular idea,hope mine works as smooth. thanks for sharing
    best, Fly

    April 15, 2010 at 02:28

    • Nice! Let me know when you worked it out, I would love to see yours! Great ambrotypes on your site btw 🙂

      April 15, 2010 at 09:19

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s